Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Celebrating Banned Books Week

This week is Banned Books week. And even though I have already made my post on #SpeakLoudly, I did want to touch on what this week means to me as an aspiring writer. I must warn you this will be a bit random - my internet has been out for a week and my wife and I are watching the season premier of 30Rock. (Oh how I love it!)

@wawoodworth on twitter asked what is the most important lesson you want people to take away from banned books week.

My answer was that only the evil and the ignorant need fear ideas.

But here is my secret: I want to have one of my books banned.

And not for some high brow, intellectual reason. I want the cash; and there is no cash cow like a banned book. Just think about it, your book gets banned and then all of the librarians, professors, and the other assorted intelligentsia of the United States go and buy it. They read it and find that it well within their sensibilities and advise all of the people within their sphere of influence to buy it. Then all of of the wacko conservatives get it from the library (because they would never buy such filth [um romance novels anyone?*]) and so libraries have to but more copies. Finally someone starts a twitter campaign to support your book that has been so cruelly banned and eventually it get talked about to the point that the masses being to hear about it regularly and are forced by simple curiosity to buy it and see what the controversy is all about.

With all that said, I do support everyone's right to be able to read what they want. You can choose to restrict what you and your family reads but please do not try to restrict my right to choose for myself and my family.

And go and read a banned book you just might like it.

*I do not think romance novels are filth, but a lot of super conservative people who would ban books think that romance novels are filth. However, studies have shown that conservative women are the most likely to read and buy romance novels...hmm makes you think huh.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean- I have a secret wish for my books to be banned too. Mine is so it will get my name/brand out. Sure, it makes me money on that book, but more importantly- I would be a household name. Like Laurie Halse Anderson- to tell the truth, I didn't know who wrote Speak before all the hubub about it started. But now I know her, as well as Sarah Ockler who wrote Twenty Boy Summer.

    And you are right- I fully support parents' rights to restrict whatever they want for their own kids (even if its a dumb reason- but hey, they are the parents) but not to restrict what MY child reads.

    ReplyDelete