Monday, January 24, 2011

Family Distractions

My return to NaNoWriMo today was less than successful as I was interrupted by family members calling, wanting to talk, or just wanting to cuddle (this would be my dogs/wife).

First, my wife wanted to cuddle on the couch, but I told her I needed to write so she let me go.

Next, my brother texted me and wanted me to get on skype to talk. While we were talking my other brother got on and so it conversation went way longer than anticipated.

Then, my father-in-law called and spent 25 minutes talking to me about sports.

Then the internet went out. (which I use the internet a lot when I write so not having it is like missing a hand.)

So now I am frustrated, my creative energies have been totally thrown off, and I just want to go to bed.

How do you deal with family distractions? Would this series of events put you off your writing, or am I just being silly?

Well, I suppose some good can come from this, I can tell my wife I am ready to cuddle now. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is so my experience. What I've done is force myself to work in a room alone. I leave the family room, leave the phone away from me, and just work. If my husband needs me, he needs to message me on gchat. Then I decide if it's worth it.

    I guess I'm kind of a jerk about it, but I need to be or I won't get work done. I spend a lot of the weekend working on writing, too. I stay up later than the husband and get up earlier to use those hours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see your are blogging again :) Yeah, I don't write well with family distractions. Which is why being an insomniac has it's benefits (on the weekends of course) (Weekdays are bedtime at 9 with the help of a teeny half sleeping pill). But yeah, I can't write with my daughter awake- like at all. Even if she's in the other room playing, I still can't concentrate. I need everyone either a) asleep or b)not home. Which, having a husband who works till midnight almost every night helps as well. Anyway, try to remember where you were at when we were meeting once a month- what were you doing to make yourself write? This was before the whole buying the house thing (and trust me, I know what its like to buy your first house and put your manuscript off for like 6 months) but then I got back into it. I found the time. And you can do- just let that passion drive you again and see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I know exactly what you mean.

    Sometimes it feels like everything out there is trying to prevent me from writing.

    Especially now that I live next to the ocean. Everyone has to come and visit.

    And when they're here, they think it's incredibly rude if I want to write.

    So yeah, I feel for you.

    Good luck with tomorrow's writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete